I do not think you are ever ready to hear the words that you have cancer. I can tell you that when I heard those words come across the phone line - I went numb. I did not remember a single word after that. I had to call back and have the nurse repeat herself. I will tell you that regardless of how you prepare yourself - you are never ready. I have included a timeline of my events over the past 6 weeks, just to catch everyone up to speed.
For those who may not know about my life history, let me share a bit. Almost every female in my family has had breast cancer. So since I can remember, I have prepared myself to hear those words. It seemed inevitable. So when I found a mass on my breast, I remember driving in the car and saying "OK God, Let's do this". When the doctor was doing the exam he asked when was the last time I had my Thyroid checked - because it seemed enlarged. (Since I was not exactly sure where my thyroid was, I was pretty sure the answer to that was never). So he went about the exam and then we scheduled appointments and went on. Honestly that 30 second conversation changed my life (however I did not know it at the time). I casually stopped in to have blood work taken for my thyroid - still not thinking anything about it. That led to an ultrasound - which lead to a biopsy - which led to learning I have cancer.
Well, even though I thought I was prepared - when I heard the words, I was in shock. Not doubtful, just in shock that it was actually here - my time. (Especially since the cancer mass was on my thyroid - where did that come from).
The mass in my breast to date is still unknown. I have a series of appointments left to go to in order to determine what that is. My hope that is when can have one surgery and one recovery - what ever that will consist of. Stay tuned!
This blog was deisgned in order to keep my family and friends informed. I am so blessed to have an abundance of support across the country - so thank you all.